Thursday, January 8, 2009

What we ate - 2008

Our dinners mostly consisted of ground beef and chicken. I buy our beef from a local butcher. I usually get about #30 at a time as we have an upright deep freeze. I buy my chicken on sale at Kroger. I buy as much as I can afford at the time. It is usually breast meat, but I do buy quarters or bone-in breast if they are exceptionally priced or I want to make some canned shredded chicken. About 4 times a year, I will buy a whole chicken or turkey and boil it in a big pot for the broth. Then I have lots of poultry to can or freeze. The pork and fish are also store-bought since we don't raise any animals yet. They usually come from Aldi's or Kroger. Anything marked with a * is cooked in the crockpot.
Deciphering my abbreviations - sammies=sandwiches, chix=chicken, boxed/frozen=store-bought.

Beef Entrees:

Meat and Noodle skillet
BBQ Cups
Sweet and sour meatballs over rice*
Sloppy Joe sammies
Taco twist casserole
Meatloaf
Boxed lasagna
boxed Dirty rice mixed with beef
Italian Mac Bake*
Tator Tot blop casserole
Frozen ravioli with spaghetti sauce
Veggies Beef stew with taters and carrots*
Tacos
Chili soup*
Spagetti with meat sauce
Hobo Meatball Stew*
Skillet hash
Beef barley soup*
Hamburgers
Lasagna
Pot roast and veggies*
Taco Ring
Baked ziti

Poultry Entrees:

General Tso chicken and rice
Frozen Chix Tenders
Chicken tacos
BBQ chix*
Cheesey chix and rice casserole
Fried Rice with chix
Shredded Chix sammies
Chix pot pie, sometimes not in pie but over biscuits
Chix carbonara
Chix quesidillas
Grilled chix breast
Chix cutlets with spaghetti over them
Chicken rice soup
Whole chix
Whole turkey

Pork entrees:

Pigs in a blanket
Potato soup (ham)
Whole ham*
Marinated pork chops
Fried ham slices
Baked pork chops and taters
Breakfast egg casserole(ham)
Ham and greenbean soup

Fish entrees:

Frozen fillets
Store-bought clam chowder
Tuna casserole
Salmon patties

Other:

Pizza (usually has meat on it, but not always)
Minestrone
Breakfast for dinner - pancakes, eggs and hash browns
Grilled cheese with whatever lunch meat we have on hand

Side dishes:

Glazed carrots
Raw carrots
breads - regular, garlic, corn
biscuits
tator tots
oven taters
plum buckle
fried taters
cheesy taters*
corn pudding
corn
Zuchinni patties
pears
pear sauce
apple sauce
cherry cobbler
salad
cole slaw
fresh fruit - grapes, berries, apples, oranges
rice
homemade puddings
sweet taters - casserole, oven fries or baked
noodles

What we drink:
water
milk
sweet tea
lemonade
the occasional soft drink, it is very rare that I buy these
herbal teas
apple juice
grape juice

I think I have covered it all! It alot more than I thought. I always knew we ate really good, I just never saw it in a list like this. Kind of an eye opener! There are so many things I would like to be producing here on the farm instead of buying them at a store. I always have to remind myself that I can only do so much.

No comments: