Thursday, January 8, 2009

What we ate - 2008

Trying to get back into blogging here. Seems lately my brain can't figure out how to post anymore. Well, today the wheels in my brain started grinding away again. I am so glad!

I have kept a rough list of the meals I made for my family in 2008. I didn't write them down everyday, but I "know" what recipes I was using. Most everything I make is homemade, or semi-homemade. By semi-homemade, I mean that maybe I added a store-bought can of soup to some meat or a store-bought packet of seasoning such as for Fried Rice. I do not produce any of our animal products. I do garden, so some of my veggies, herbs and the strawberries are produced on our farm. Some of the apples, all the pears, cherries and rhubarb came from my mil or sil's farms. Everything else is a store-bought item. These are the things I would like to replace with home-grown or local foods. Some things, such as breads and pasta's, I know that I can make myself and this is a goal I am woking toward reaching. For me, it's all about being as self-reliant as I possibly can be. Saying that, I will also add that we did go out to eat about twice a month for the first part of the year. However, in November dh's work pretty much came to a stand still, so going out to eat has not been an option. Not a bad problem to have, is it?

I will break things up into breakfast/lunches/snacks because these have a much shorter list. Then I will do my Dinner's. They will be broken down into beef, poultry, pork, fish and other meals. This way it is easier for me to see what we eat in a years time.


Breakfast:

Cheerios (baby and dh)
Grape-Nuts (me)
Baked Oatmeal
Eggs
French Toast
Milk
OJ

Lunches:

Mostly leftovers
Canned soup with grilled sammies (my word for sandwiches!)
Frozen Chicken tenders and taters
Frozen Fish fillets and taters
Egg salad sammies (me)
Chicken salad sammies(me)
Tuna salad sammies (me)
Egg, cheese and bagel sammies

Snacks:

Amish Friendship bread
Pretzels dipped in cheese or black bean dip
Mozzarella cheese sticks
Yogurt
Nachos - sometimes smothered in leftover chili or sloppy joe meat
Brownies/cookies on occasion
Fresh fruit, sometimes with my Peanut butter fruit dip
Carrot sticks
Goldfish cracker and graham crackers for baby


Notes: I eliminated the Grape-Nuts in early fall. I replaced it with the baked oatmeal. The bread was store bought until early winter, then it was all homemade. The crackers weren't the only snack the baby ate. She ate whatever we ate as long as it was appropriate for her. She never did like jarred baby food. She wanted to be "big" and eat what we ate! Saved us lots of money that way!

No comments: