Thursday, January 8, 2009

Stocking the pantry from the garden 2008

Canning, I love it and I hate it. I love the independence it gives my family. I love looking at the beautiful colored jars in my basement, just waiting to be ate. I love that I don't have to buy everything at the grocery as long as I can some foods. I hate the long hours standing and making my feet, legs and back hurt. I hate the time not spent with my daughter because she is too young to help me. I hate how tiring it can be. Thank goodness I don't do the harvest-type of canning year-round! All in all, I really do love to can my foods. Like I said, I love the independence it gives us! In 2008, I did more canning than I have ever done before. I had alot given to us, and we made our garden larger. Some other foods I froze, dried or kept in a dark cool place.
Here is what I did:

Canning-
11 qts green beans
42 qts tomato sauce
11 pts carrots
7 qt mater soup
5 pt apple butter
31 qt apple sauce
7 qt pear sauce

Dried-
28 apples
lots of parsley, oregano and lavender
all onions (189)
1 pt maters
1 head sunflower seeds

Froze-
4gal strawberries
12 bell peppers
1gal blackberries

Keeping fresh-
15# carrots
5 pumpkins
5# taters

Key to my abbreviations: qt=quart, pt=pint, gal=gallon, mater=tomato, tater=potato

Notes:
I did not personally grow the apples, pears or blackberries. The apples and pears were given to me. I bought the blackberries from a local farmer.
The peppers did very poorly this year, hence only 12. Then they ended up getting pitched because they had such a horrible taste to them. Don't know what happened there.

No comments: