Sunday, January 11, 2009

Homemade Pizza recipe

Finally, after many failed attempts, I have developed a homemade pizza that both my dh and I love! Yay! Here it is:

CRUST
makes 2

4c flour - I use King Arthur unbleached white
1tbsp sugar
2-1/4 tsp dry active yeast(or 1 pkt)
2 tsp salt
1/4 oil - I use canola
1 and 1/3c warm water
seasonings to your taste - garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, etc.

Mix 1/3c warm water and yeast. Make sure the water is not too hot or else you will kill the yeast. Set aside. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add 1c hot water to dry mix. Add yeast water once it has tiny bubbles on top. Add oil. Mix well.Place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise in a warm spot.
Once it has risen some (an hour usually does it), divide in half and roll out onto an oiled sheet. I like to use stoneware because it seems to cook more evenly and it keeps it warm while you serve it. Prick the dough all over with a fork so that it doesn't form bubbles while it cooks. Then I like to prebake the crust in a 400 degree oven for about 3 minutes. Take out the crust and top as you like. Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes, or until it looks done.
An alternative, is to freeze the crust after it is prebaked. Thaw when you need it and top it off and cook it the same as above.

I use homemade sauce made from home canned spaghetti sauce. Yummy!

SPAGHETTI SAUCE - from my sil Diane

16 qts or 1/2 bushel Roma tomatoes
6 med onions - chopped
Puree or blend the tomatoes. put in large pot with the onions. Cook about 1-1/2 hrs on low to med heat - low boil.
Add
2 c veg oil (optional - I don't do this and it turns out wonderful)
8 cloves crushed garlic
3 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1-1/2c brown sugar
1/3c salt
Cook for 1 hr. Add (4) 12 oz cans of tomato paste. It's ready for canning!

One variation I mistakenly made with this recipe, is with the red pepper. One batch I accidentally used cayenne pepper instead! Makes for a hotter sauce, but it tastes wonderful for pizza!

For making into a pizza sauce:
For every 1 pint of the spaghetti sauce use (1) 6oz. can of tomato paste. Mix together to thicken. Spread on the pizza crust.

Enjoy!!!


No comments: