Sunday, October 25, 2009

Make Your Own Dry Minced Onions

Here is something I posted on August 30, 2008. I am re-posting this to participate in Tammy's In-Season Recipe Swap. Please go over and visit and see what others have contributed! Make sure you take a look at all of Tammy's recipes, they are great!

Many people dry their own bananas or apples, but did you know it is very easy to make your own dry minced onions or dry onion powder? I wait until I find a good sale on onions and buy lots of them. It's even cheaper when you can grow your own! I can only speak from experience with an electric food dehydrator, however I have read where you can dry things outdoors or in your oven. Do a web search and I am sure you can find instructions as to how to do this without spending money on a dryer. I have had mine for many years so it has paid for it's self many times over. This is how I do it...

First, cut the ends off your onions and peel away the dry, papery outer layers. Second, slice your onions to about 3/8" thick. Now lay them onto the dehydrator and turn it on. It takes 12-14 hours in my dryer. Yours may vary. Just follow the instructions that came with your dryer. After they are dry, they should be brittle. You do not want to store them with moisture in them, it will ruin the whole batch.
Next I put them in the blender and whir them to the desired consistency - chopped or powdered.
I store them in old glass jars or chipped canning jars - anything I can't use for canning. I also give used canning lids a second life by using them to seal these jars of dried food. That's all there is to it, it's that easy! Just use as you would normally use the store-bought kind. Only this way they are far cheaper, and if you grow the onions yourself, it is very frugal and self-sufficient!

One tip that I recommend is to place your dryer in your garage or outdoors because it will make your house really stink to dry onions.

I plan on doing this to my garlic this year. I have never done it before, but I am sure it will be the same as the onions. Have fun drying your own onions or garlic!

10 comments:

Tammy L said...

Thanks for sharing! :)

Tammy

Tanya said...

Great idea! Thanks so much, can't wait to try it:)

Tanya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SnoWhite said...

what a great idea! I just got a dehydrator yesterday :) thanks.

Liz said...

Could you do this in the oven on the lowest temperature setting? I'm living in the Philippines for a year and wasn't able to bring my dehydrator with me.

Thanks!
Liz

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips. I use my dryer on a regular basis and it never occured to me to include garlic and onion.

Unknown said...

Very informative and trustworthy. Please keep updating with great posts like this one.
1-500T/D Edible Oil Production Line

BTMA Oil Press said...

soybean oil machine
mustard oil machine for home
peanut oil machine

palm oil line said...

Professional palm oil press equipment manufacturer, please contact oil palm machine
oil palm processing machine

MINING BTMA said...

pe150x250 jaw crusher
jaw rock crusher