Sunday, March 21, 2010

Make Your Own...Deodorant

Deodorant. Nearly all of us use it - or else we should be and don't! :) But why put something on our skin that is potentially harmful? Have you ever looked on the label of your deodorant? Aluminum and propylene glycol are very common ingredients in deodorant. Aluminum is well known to cause problems. There are studies that indicate that aluminum may be part of the Alzheimer problem or even breast cancer. Propylene glycol is found in antifreeze! That alone is enough to deter me away from it! Check out these websites for more info on these ingredients or your favorite personal care products. Natural Health Information Centre and Skin Deep.

Now for a recipe to avoid all those unnecessary chemicals and it is far less expensive - a win-win situation to me!

Once again I cannot take full credit for the recipe. I got it from Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking. It's only ingredients are coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. (You can find aluminum-free baking soda at most stores. Usually the Rumford brand is ok.) I saved an old solid deodorant container and washed it out real good and put the homemade stuff in it. I must say, I was skeptical at first, but it honestly works well! No odors, no sweaty pits! I am anxious to see how well it works this summer when I am working outdoors and REALLY sweating. That will be its true test for me. The only thing I have found that I didn't like, is that if your shirt is a bit snug in the armpit area, the coconut oil can leave a residue on your shirt. Not so attractive. Makes it look like your not wearing deodorant! But if you wear loose clothing, no worries! (side note: the residue does wash out - nothing permanent)

Give it a try - I dare you! :)

No comments: