Saturday, March 13, 2010

2010 Garden Changes

Every year I keep a running list of what I want to change for the next years garden. Here is what I have compiled to far.

Need to grow more potatoes, corn and garlic
Grow less tomatoes
Try pickles again
Keep the amount of carrots about the same
Get a few more raspberry and blueberry plants started
Fill in the dead spots of the strawberry patch
No popcorn
Keep the amount of greenbeans the same
No peas needed
Do more herbs: mints, bay, cumin, echinacea
See if we can start some grapes or apples
Keep onions about the same
Do some landscaping in the front yard
Do less canning this year - I hate to do that, but with a newborn and a 2 year old in tow, I don't know how much I will be able to do this year. Thank goodness for the bumper crop of tomatoes last year!

Edited to add: We will not be doing potatoes in tires this year. They do grow well that way if they are kept well watered. We won't be doing it that way because I need to be able to handle the harvesting by myself. The tires are too large and heavy for my 5'1" petite frame to handle without injuring myself! I can't always count on my husband to be able to help me. Afterall, he works full time plus helps run his family's farm.

2 comments:

MyBulletinBoard said...

How do you use your echinacea. The stuff WalMart sells is whole herb. I'm allergic to the flowers, but I discovered the old timers used only the root. How about you? ~Liz

Angie said...

I have never used homegrown echinacea. :) I want to plant some so I can give it a try. I do buy it in capsule and liquid form from my local herbalist for cold and flu season. If all else fails, it does look pretty in the garden!