Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Making Fruit Leather



I've been making fruit leather again. This time its apple-strawberry. I puree a gallon bag of my home-grown strawberries (thawed from the freezer) and add a little (home canned)applesauce to help thicken it a bit. I then add about a 1/4 cup of sugar. Not absolutely neccesary, but it does help reduce the tartness. Pour onto the trays and dry!
I only have one fruit leather tray that came with the dehydrator. So what I did to be able to make more than one at a time is use wax paper cut to fit the trays. Works really well! I tried using plastic wrap, but didn't really like it. With the wax paper, it's easier to wash it and re-use. I'm all for reusing and eliminating waste and cutting costs! Plus, the wax paper I have is the wax bags from boxes of cereal. I always save those bags, they are so handy! I can't tell you the last time I bought wax paper! On that note, I also haven't bought foil, plastic wrap or plastic baggies in several years. I always wash and air dry what I use and reuse, reuse, reuse! Sounds like a good start to another installment of Disposing of Disposables!

No comments: