Monday, April 14, 2008

Ready to garden

I am ready to sink my hands and feet into the garden! However, the weather is not cooperating! It has been in the low 30's at night and chilly and rainy during the day. This week is supposed to be much better. I can't wait! I'm sure with all the rain we have had recently, it will still be too wet to plant or dig. This makes me sad - I have the gardening itch soo bad right now! So in the meantime, I have made my garden plans. Here they are:

tomatoes
greenbeans
sweet corn
onions
garlic
broccoli

I'm not set as to how much of each. I'm not sure how much space dh will allow me to dig up. We currently have a raised bed that we have used for the past 2 years. I use the square foot gardening method in it. I also have an area for my herbs. Currently, there are chives, oregano, hyssop and lavender in that bed. They are all growing very nicely right now.
I would love to raise enough food to cover at least 50% of our consumption. Anybody do this or more? I plan on doing more canning and drying this year to accomplish this. Can't wait to share photos of the garden and the fruits of my labor!

No comments: