Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Disposing of Disposables - Napkins




Cloth Napkins vs Paper Napkins

I have sewn or bought cloth napkins for several years now. For making my own, I have used material in the remnant bins at Walmart. Super cheap way to get cloth napkins. You can make them any size you want. I currently make them 9” x 9” square. They are also 2-ply. This picture are of my most recent napkins I have made. When I have bought napkins, they have been second-hand. Another very cheap route to go! Most any consignment/thrift stores or garage sales will have cloth napkins. Most are obviously unused.

We currently have 14 napkins and this number seems to be working well for us right now (2 adults).

Most cloth napkins are so large they can be re-used at another meal. This is how we can get by with 14. Actually, up until a month ago, we only had 8 napkins and that number served us well also.

With cloth napkins, you never run out (unless you don't do your laundry regularly!) So, no more buying from the store, no more storing them somewhere until use, no more excess garbage in the landfills! And they are softer on the face than paper!

So go out, buy some fabric and whip up a few or buy some second-hand. You will be happy that you did!

No comments: