Saturday, August 29, 2009

Canning Away

Suddenly, it has become my major canning season.

Yesterday, my mother-in-law came over and helped me put up 23 quarts of peaches.

Today, hubby and I have turned 1/2 bushel of tomatoes into pizza sauce. As I type, it is simmering and becoming yummy! I will let it simmer a bit longer and then the canning starts! The sauce filled an entire canning kettle, so I will most likely be canning some of it tomorrow. Can't wait to see how many pints of pizza sauce we end up with!

The next batch of ripe tomatoes will be turned into soup. I use this recipe from Stephanie at Stop The Ride!

Hope everyone is enjoying their canning season!

2 comments:

MyBulletinBoard said...

Go for it! The peaches sound wonderful.

I got real ambitious the first year we got our garden here and bought a canner. It didn't take me long to decide that canning was a whole lot of sweat for very little -- unless you had a big enough garden to make all that labor worth it. Maybe when we retire we'll have time to triple the garden patch and make it worthwhile. In the meantime, I'm going to leave it all to you! LOL

Liz

Angie said...

LizBeth - it is ALOT of work! That's why I am so grateful for my mother-in-law! She loves to help can and says she is just returning the time that her mother-in-law gave her. :)