Thursday, August 7, 2008

My Gardens

I have always loved gardening. I've gardened my whole life in various different capacities. When I moved to my current house in the country, I was very excited about the idea of having a very large, old-fashion type of garden. I couldn't wait! Well, that year I did have a very large garden. Too large. I was overwhelmed with weeds. I couldn't keep up. My husband was very dissappointed with it's appearance and threatened to spray every bit of it dead. I was not thrilled. He did not spray it, and I never had a garden like that again. I turned to Square Foot Gardening. It has been amazing. This year we expanded. Since we are a little family now and with inflation we thought it was time. Here is the garden at beginning of season.
As you can see they are raised garden beds. The original SFG(square foot gardening) method is a 4x4 square. We modified that to a 4x8 square. I just had one of those for a couple of years. Then this year dh made 3 more. So due to space constraints, we butted them up to each other making four 4x8 raised beds. Looking at the picture, the top left has my paste maters, bottom left has carrot seed and a parsley plant. Top right has 2 bell peppers, 6 broccoli and a bunch of yellow onions. Bottom right has pole snap beans. Current picture will be coming soon.

Not only do we have these boxes, but we have a different way of planting taters. This is what we did this year.



I got the idea from Stephanie at Stop the Ride. We used truck tires, so we were able to use 6 tater seed per stack. Also because we used a bigger tire, we only went 3 high. The stack on the right is already turning brown. So we will soon harvest (hopefully... Stephanie didn't have much luck with hers). Current pics to come! (waiting on weather to clear!)

So far I have harvest green beans, broccoli, and 2 peppers. Not as much as I'd hoped thus far. The maters got a fungus that stunted their growth for awhile (we had alot of wet weather for a while), then the green beans were invaded by a ton of Japanese beetles.

So, I guess I'm not growing that 6 month food supply I have dreamed about doing. Live and learn and do better next year, right?

No comments: