Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Low-Cost Recipes

I'm starting a new topic here that will include my favorite low-cost/easy recipes. Not only will it be helpful to others, but it will help me organize my recipes and see what I make throughout the year. This way it will help me with planning my gardening and canning. That's the plan anyways!


Weekly Menu for August 17-23, 2008:

Sunday - leftover day
Monday - Ham in crockpot, taters, carrots, pears
Tuesday - Italian Macaroni Bake
Wednesday - leftover day
Thursday - Fried Rice with chicken
Friday - Semi-homemade pizza
Saturday - out

You may notice we do alot of leftover days. In my household, there are only 2 adults and 1 child who is almost a year old. DH does eat alot and I am nursing still, so I cook for 4-6 people. This leaves enough for DH to have lunch the next day at the bare minimum. Usually we have enough for all 3 of us to have for lunch, or save for supper on a busy day. Also DH requests that I make at least 1# of meat per meal. I know that this is an expensive way to eat, but that's what he likes so I do it. He grew up on a cattle farm, so he is used to eating that way. Likewise, he does not like alot of beans and rice, so this hampers my quest for inexpensive meals. We eat alot of meat and potato meals as you will see. No we are not over-weight, no heart problems, dh does have slightly elevated cholesterol (so does his entire family - I wonder why!) and we do not go to the gym to burn off all those calories. We just work hard on the farm, in the garden, chop wood and chase our baby girl around the yard!
Hopefully I can help someone cook inexpensive meat and tater meals!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

You guys eat just like we do! Can't wait to see some of your recipes.

Angie said...

I"m still working on this! This time of year is so busy for me. Winter time I will be able to post more.