Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dry Your Own Oregano

I use alot of oregano. Instead of paying an insane price at the store for sub par herbs, I grow them. I recently took my first spring cuttings of my oregano. Once planted, it comes back every year(so far). It grows like crazy. It gives more than what we can use in a year, and that's alot! You need to cut the herb before it flowers so that you can experience the full flavor of oregano. I cut it with sharp kitchen scissors and place the cuttings into a paper sack.




I fill it about half ways.

Then I fold the bag shut and put in a dark dry room to dry. I usually have several (or more)bagfuls by fall that are dry. Once dried, I take the stems and pinch it between my thumb and finger. Then I slide my hand down the stem. This releases the dried leaves from the stem. It's helpful to do this over a bowl or newspaper to catch the leaves. At that point, I put them into an old large canning jar that is no longer usable for canning. I use spent canning lids to close them. Label the jar and store with the other herbs. It's that easy. I have one oregano plant that grows about 12" tall and probably 12-16" wide and it provides for us well. They do get woody stems, so you should prune them at the end of the season. That way, they have nice supple fresh growth in the spring.
Here's a site I found with some more oregano info for those interested.

No comments: