Thursday, July 23, 2009

Garden Progress

July has nearly blown by us already! One more week and it will be August, where has the summer gone to? Soon I will be knee-deep into canning tomatoes and other goodies from the garden. Have you gotten your canning lids yet? I have!

Here is the thing that my hubby rigged up to water our garden easier.

All he did was put our sprinkler on top of a metal stool that was just sitting in the barn. He had to put a board on top of the seat in order for the sprinkler to sit straight.

The sweet corn is tasseling and setting its silk.


The tomatoes are really starting to put out the fruit! It is all still green, but it won't be long and I will be turning them into paste, sauce, juice, salsa...


I've been canning greanbeans for a bit now. They have slowed up, but we planted more so that we will have a later harvest too. This is my daughter helping me snap them. She is not quite 2, and I really didn't think she would be able to help me like this already! She didn't do it for very long, but I was thrilled to have her help!


I pulled some carrots last week. They aren't all ready yet. We also planted some a few weeks ago for a late harvest.


Some more onions that I planted.


My daughter looking for some raspberries to snack on. They are just about done.


That's all the garden photos I have taken recently. I will add that we also planted some cucumbers to harvest late. All the stuff we planted for a late harvest should make it to maturity by our first freeze. At least we hope it all does!

Things are a bit slow as far as gardening and canning go. Mostly been weeding and watering the garden. We really need some rain. We just received 1/2" yesterday. Until that amount, we have only received 1" this month. Prior to that, we have had very little rain also. Not fun to have to worry about watering the garden every couple of days.

What is everyone else doing in their gardens (flower or veggie)?

No comments: